Thursday, January 29, 2009

Steve Albini

I've been listening to In Utero a lot and reading up on some things and talking to Joe and we've been seriously talking about getting Steve Albini to do our next album, of course that is if he would/wanted to. We want a REAL quality to our next album. Real sounding drums/vocals etc. We've been talking about an all analog recording. I'd be really excited to hear how it would come out. This is all very theoretical at this stage though. Joe has around 15 songs written for our next album, but I have barely even started on my end so we won't be recording any time soon. Besides, Invasions Of The Mind only came out 4 months ago, that's still VERY recent. There's no reason to jump the gun. At least I don't think there is.

Every band/album that comes out nowadays sounds like the most fake thing I've ever heard. It would be nice for our next record to sound like sort of an absolutely flawless live performance. If we had all the time in the world I would do an album entirely on analog. I'm not a recording nerd either, by any means, but I heard how the drums for Invasions Of The Mind sounded in Q-Division Studios before they were brutally raped by triggers, and it was amazing. I remember thinking that the album was going to come out sounding amazing solely based on that. But of course, we got fucked in the end. We all want a remix of the album, and to pull the triggers as far back as possible, but I don't see that happening anytime in the near future. Who knows though. We still have video footage of the drum tracking somewhere, from inside the drum room and from the control room. I remember how good they sounded, we were all so pleased. Dammit. Also I think we all agree that maybe a different approach to the recording of the vocals would be a smart idea. Maybe single track the verses and double the chorus, or maybe just play it by ear, but overall, lay off the double tracks. I don't really regret doing it on Invasions, it was what I wanted at the time, and it bookmarks a point in time and an experiment in recording, but I think I want something else for our future records, at least for this next one.

Check out these videos, pretty cool:









ALSO READ THIS:


http://www.negativland.com/albini.html


http://www.electrical.com/index.php

I don't know if I'm "supposed to" say any of that stuff seeing as it's still in the brainstorming stage and not final, but it shouldn't matter. I can't stand all the unspoken rules everyone has to follow in the music scene. It's pathetic. Everything has to be hush-hush all the time. I'd never get to enjoy the excitement of new and interesting things if I didn't share them with the people I know because when you're excited about something, you want to talk about it when the excitement is at it's highest...right when it happens, but everyone tells you "don't tell anyone though" so then by the time it's "OK" to tell everyone, your excitement has lost serious steam, and it's just an all around let down. I mean it's not like we are 100 percent for a fact going with Steve Albini, or even talked to him once, or even talked about talking to him to anyone, and I'm telling you stuff that is supposed to be top secret, it's just an idea. I know that this probably isn't even anything anyone would get mad at me for posting but all the things that people do get mad at me for talking about are just as insane so I don't even know if I can tell the difference. Who knows we could just as easily call Steve Albini and send him our new songs and he tells us that he thinks that we suck. Either way I'm just saying it would be cool to record with him, and wanted to express how ridiculous it is that I can't just say stuff because OTHER PEOPLE will take it out of context and be idiots. One more thing while I'm still on this topic, I don't understand why it's not ok to dislike bands anymore, or even people for that matter, but let's stick to bands right now. I just flat out don't care for too many bands, especially in the scene we are in. WHY IS THAT WRONG? Explain that to me. Yes the PEOPLE in these bands may be nice, good people, but why do I have to like their band just because of that fact? I don't. I see people writing negative shit about Energy online ALL THE TIME and I seriously don't get mad, as a matter of fact some people even say to me "aren't you mad, aren't you going to say anything" and I just say, "that's how they feel about us, I chose to make my art public and can't get upset when not every single person likes it." Besides, you get more real emotion out of people when they criticize your music (Constructively, and to your face of course). I think that most of the people who write negative reviews or "talk shit" about us online wouldn't come right up and say it to me, not because they are afraid of me or anything like that, just because they aren't directly confrontational people like their internet persona suggests. It's OK if we are friends and you don't like Energy. There I said it right there, it doesn't bother me. Granted in a perfect world everyone in bands would have all of their friends loving all the music they make, but that's in a non existent perfect world. If you just plain don't like how our songs sound to you, I'm fine with it, I will actually respect you more for expressing your true opinion and just saying it to me. That's why I hardly ever thank bands when I'm onstage because I don't want people to think that I love every single band we've ever played with. When I do actually like a band though, then I MIGHT say something. That's still a maybe.

I need to figure out how to get acoustic guitar strings. I also need to figure out how to write lyrics faster than I am. I want to be one of those bands that pumps out songs, and has more b-side material than released music. I have no problem whatsoever writing melodies, I do it all the time, it's just sitting down and concentrating and working hard on lyrics that is the hard part. I believe that melodies come first, lyrics second. This may be a controversial stance on writing, but I stand by it. Music and melody are the best part of music, and the melody is what people are (hopefully) going to be singing to themselves over and over. I don't see it as sacrificing lyrical content either, it just gives you a set frame to work within. Melody then lyrics is the best method to get your words sounding good with the melody too. If you write a bunch of lyrics and then figure out a melody that works with the lyric, then the ideal melody is sacrificed, thus making your song less enjoyable from the listeners perspective. A melody is a melody, a lyric or lyrical idea/theme can be represented properly in many different ways. I guess what I'm trying to say is that lyrics can be re-shaped and re-worked and still convey exactly what you were trying to say, melodies, once changed are different melodies, and have lost something that you can't recapture otherwise.

I know that no one cares about this kind of stuff and that no one's even really reading it, but this blog is for me, not you....well it's for you too, but me first. I wrote a hook that I really like a lot for a song Joe wrote that he temporarily named Aragorn Isildur's Heir, some Lord Of The Rings reference of course. I am constantly humming the melody to myself so I think it's pretty good. Also, I am almost completely done with vocals all together for a new song called "Bleeding Grey". I am anxious to demo/record it. There are a lot of lyrics in it, for an Energy song that is. I usually don't write too many lyrics because the melody and pace don't call for it, but this one does, so I wrote accordingly.

I'm only writing so much in this because I woke up at like 8:30 PM and will be up for quite some time, so I'm trying to pass the time and keep myself entertained. I stayed up all last night and shoveled once it started snowing, then I passed out, woke up to a million IMs that I never responded to, and showered. As of late, my days have been pretty uneventful, yet I still manage to find enough to write about to write this much in here. I'd say that's enough for now though.

No comments:

Post a Comment