Sunday, August 2, 2009

I wish I could choose when to sleep


It's 3:07 AM and I'm in the hotel room that Julia and I are staying at. We had a nice night relaxing and watching movies. Earlier, we went to Town Spa and got pizza. We also walked around Michael's and the Christmas Tree Shop. Michael's already has Halloween decorations for sale. I was grinning like a little kid the whole time. We initially went in there with the intentions of finding me some patches/fabric to patch up all the holes in my pants with, but we couldn't find what I was looking for. I have no idea where to get fabric like that other than cutting up old clothes, but I really don't have a lot of clothes that I can just cut up like that.

My plan is to just keep patching up the holes in my pants with different patches and eventually it will get to the point where the pants are more patch than pants. I am calling this idea "Operation: Scarecrow Pants". They are by far the most comfortable pair of pants that I have ever owned, so I am going to try to make them last as long as possible. Plus I'm always broke and wouldn't be able to afford new pants anyway. My Mom did buy me some pants a while ago that are nice, but don't hold up while I'm playing a set, so I pretty much HAVE to wear these pants. I'm gonna stop talking about pants now.

The new studio footage of A.F.I. recording Crash Love has me more excited about the new album than the sample of "Medicate" that I heard. They are the last band that I have any faith left in. If they can't make a great album anymore, then I don't think anyone is making anything great. There are GOOD songs here and there, but for me, I feel like music just isn't great anymore. There hasn't been anything that came out and made me go "wow, this is going to be remembered for a long time" in years. It sucks. I'm not really mad about it as much as I am sad at the fact that younger kids don't have any great bands to be excited about. I feel like there are kids out there who genuinely love music for the right reasons, but they aren't presented with anything new that's worth obsessive about. There aren't any bands that have true "fanatics" and/or cult like status. Bands who have a specific type of fan if you will. Bands with a devoted fan base that will not abandon them once everyone ELSE stops talking about them and said band's 15 minutes of "fame" are over. I mean...come on, there isn't ANYONE in the WORLD that can write a great song anymore? For decades and decades there have been so many great songs, so what happened? Did the well dry up? Are there no more great songs left to be written? No, there are an infinite amount of great songs that have yet to be written, people just aren't writing them.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's the year I graduated high school, but I feel like 2003 was roughly the "cut-off-point" if you will. Like I said, there have been good songs here and there since then, but nothing that just makes you go...FUCK. I say it all the time but people need to stop and think for a second..."should I try to create my own music? or am I really just fixated on the IDEA of making music?" I'm not saying don't try, but I feel like there's a certain point, very early on, when you realize - "I'm supposed to make music". If you aren't listening back to the music you created/recorded and saying to yourself "this is awesome, I'm IN my favorite band", you're probably just fixated on the idea of being in a band, and should just stop now because you're ruining it for all the people out there that actually LIKE music. It's kind of like marriage: You always hear people say "you just know when you've met the right person, you just know" And of course, your average American being the IDIOT that they probably are, gets married and regrets it shortly after.

STOP GETTING MARRIED WHEN YOU AREN'T IN LOVE
& STOP MAKING MUSIC WHEN
YOU DON'T EVEN LOVE THE MUSIC YOU'RE MAKING


I know that these blog entries are never going to put an end to terrible music and/or the boring soulless people that make it, but I am human, so I enjoy venting when I'm angry/sad/frustrated.

Also, let's not forget the obvious/obligatory "You didn't HAVE to read this" disclaimer.

No comments:

Post a Comment