Monday, February 9, 2009

Julia has a blog now!



http://juliadrew.blogspot.com

She hasn't made any posts yet, but follow her anyway!

Ok, well first and foremost, Blink 182 are back together and writing a new album. My favorite Blink record is their last album, S/T, so I'm eager to see what the next one sounds like. I'm not going to pretend this means more to me than it does, because to some people this is the end all, be all, of reunions, and I wouldn't want to contribute to cheapening that for them. That would be like if The Misfits finally reunited, Glenn, Doyle, Jerry, Robo(or whoever), and everyone who sort of liked The Misfits was acting like they were their favorite band for years. It would just be lame. But that being said, I'm excited that another great band has reunited. There just aren't any bands anymore that are going to go down in history as one of the greatest bands of all time. Hopefully this will slap all the mediocre hacks in music right in the face and they will realize that they aren't making any music worth listening to. I only got into Blink 182 within the past year (I think), but I knew their songs, and there is no denying how catchy they are, and the effect they had on music, especially underground music. They have the simplest songs, with the catchest melodies, which makes me think that bands nowadays are just trying too hard, or not trying at all.

There needs to be another band that takes music in general by storm. A band that just shatters this boring, repetitious cycle in modern music of shoving a new band in our faces every week through advertising and marketing, letting them have that one single off of an entire album of songs(trivializing the whole idea of an album as we once knew it), and then being forgotten in a couple of years at most. Every generation has had bands (or even just ONE band) that defined it. I'm more specifically talking about my generation obviously, the 1990's to early 2000's. Where is today's generation's Nirvana? Will they ever come? The Smashing Pumpkins, Metallica, Weezer, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, and Blink 182s of our generation. I PRAY that people can see what I'm talking about. Who is tearing up the radio waves right now? NO ONE. And don't say bands like Against Me, or any other band that's popular on the radio that YOU happen to like, because they aren't doing for music what those legendary bands have done, they don't even scratch the surface. I LIKE some current bands, yes, but are they defining this generation? Hey, maybe they are, maybe in a way, the mediocrity in music is defining this generation of mediocre people. You know what I am talking about though. I want a band to take the music world by surprise and surpass record sale projections. Nevermind was only supposed to sell a matter of thousands, and look what that album became: one of the greatest albums of all time. Once these bands broke up, or past their primes, no one took their place. They were taking the legendary bands before them's places you know. There were plenty of bands from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90s, that blew everyone's minds, and changed music. Not today. Not one single band is doing that. Again, don't list a bunch of underground bands who, to you, are making great music, because what I'm referring to, is a force that changes the MASSES. Who is going to make the vh1 lists in 2010 of greatest bands/albums/whatever - of the 2000's? I will throw up when I see that, because we, as a race, could have done so much better. We really could have, I just feel like either no one cares, or the record industry has become so disgusting that they do not allow bands to get popular anymore. Someone needs to rise above that. Someone needs to write an album that the record industry CAN'T trivialize, because it is THAT good. Exactly how Nirvana did with Nevermind. People want it, they just don't know it for the most part. They just think that all the new bands must have something special that they don't understand, that the younger kids do, because they are intended for a younger generation, when in reality, that's not the case at all. The bands today have nothing special. I can't remember the last time I was excited about a new band so much that I couldn't stop listening to their album. I will hear bands that I enjoy, listen to for a while, but then that's it. When I first heard Nevermind, Mellon Collie & The Infinite Sadness, and all of those albums, that was indescribable. I refuse to believe that any of the shitty bands out there today hit young kids first getting into music the way that those albums hit me, and everyone else in that generation. I'm not being bitter, because I WANT IT. If I was being bitter, I would just be saying that there will never be another band like them, and hate every band nowadays, but I'm not. I am just waiting for a new band to blow the doors open for everyone else again. I want it now, more than ever.

Enough of that, I don't want to keep saying the same thing over and over again, only wording it slightly different, but you get the idea. In other "news"...

I have no idea what I'm going to do today. I'll probably try and finish writing that song I've been working on. OH YEAH, here's the link to my page for songs I'm working on: www.myspace.com/jasontankerleymusic

There's only a CLIP of a PART of a song that I'm working on, I have 3 additional parts that are not on that recording that I plan on adding (hopefully today), this song is probably going to be around 4 minutes long. This page is basically for me to show people things that I'm currently excited about writing, without having to send the mp3s to 20 different people. And by 20 I mean 5. So give it a listen and let me know what you think. It's the beginnings of my first attempt at completing an entire song on my own. I recorded it in GarageBand. I have obviously written plenty of songs on my own vocally, but that was after the groundwork had already been laid down. I want to write a song, totally from scratch. That's it. It sounds like such a simple achievement, but to me it's not. I have never been good at piecing music together to make anything complete, so this is a really important personal goal that I must achieve. I finally came up with that transitional part I was having a hard time with. I just had no idea how to bridge 2 parts together correctly, and I figured something out that I think is pretty cool. I guess I'm not in that bad of shape if in like 3 or 4 days, I'm well on my way to finishing it, it's just really hard, especially since I don't know a damn thing about how to write music "correctly" or whatever.

Julia should be walking in the door any minute to get a ride to work with my mom. I think I've typed enough for now.

Currently Listening To:

2 comments:

  1. You clearly have never heard of Bring Me the Horizon!

    In all seriousness, I would count Green Day as a band for this generation because American Idiot came out 10 years after Dookie and it had a HUGE impact on kids. As much as Interscope may try, AFI will never be one of "those" bands. If Against Me! took a more commercial route, I think they COULD be one of those bands, but that probably won't happen, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, calm down there... Bring Me The Horizon is fucking incredible.

    ReplyDelete