Saturday, February 7, 2009

Yes



I woke up at like 6, or a little after. I can't stay asleep. Every single time my mom sees me, she tells me that I look like shit. I feel like I look like shit. I've been working on songs lately, the instrument end at least, and I'm really happy with what I've done. I wish there was a way for me to upload like a 30 second clip to show to the few people that actually read this, but chances are, if you're reading this, I already sent it to you. I am really liking the synthetic beats in GarageBand, there isn't a huge selection to choose from, but it gets the job done as far as an immediate rhythm/percussion part goes. I have, for the most part, a completed acoustic song that I just need to piece together correctly, a synth song that's pretty cool, and I started a cover of Tubeway Army's Down In The Park. This MacBook is the best thing that ever happened to me, well, as far as material things go of course. I showed my mom both of the songs that I wrote and she liked the synth one the most. She said that there was "something off" about the acoustic one. The acoustic song is far better, but I can see why she would like the synth one more. I've noticed that she gets thrown off a lot by drum beats that seem to be a little unconventional for the music they are put over. Josh said the acoustic song reminds him of Danzig, and that a lot of acoustic music sounds the same to him, and that this sounds different. Joe said that it definitely has to be on the new Energy cd, which I'm not opposed to.

As many people that know me already know, I get a lot of satisfaction out of knowing I wrote the music that I've written. There's just nothing more satisfying than when I'm onstage singing, or when I listen to the music I've created, and I know that I wrote the lyrics, vocal melody, and music to what I'm playing/hearing. That's a part of the reason why I'm all for individual songwriting credits. Joe was opposed to the idea for Invasions, even though everyone in the band tells everyone the truth, that Joe writes most of the music. I just love how if you look at Bad Religion's lyric books/songwriting credits, you can find out which songs are Graffin songs, and which songs are Gurewitz songs. I realized recently that 90 percent of my favorite Bad Religion songs (and some of the most popular ones for that matter) are written by Brett Gurewitz. I had all the track names written down with everyones names next to the songs they wrote/contributed parts to, but ultimately the decision was made to ommit it from the final pressing. I wonder if people would be mad if I posted that in this. I always wonder that stuff because I can never really read people well enough to know what they'd actually get upset over or not. I wanted to list songwriting credits for no other reason than to know that some people might read the insert and be able to get a better read on individual band members' songwriting styles, and things like that. I'm going to try to convince everyone (Joe) to do it for our next cd. I have a feeling that our entire new cd will probably be written by Joe and I. We already have enough songs instrumentally for that to be the case (almost twice over at this point!), but we're aiming to have as many songs as possible to choose from. It just makes it that much harder on me because I could put a lot of work into finishing certain songs, and then have those ones be ones that don't make it to the next cd, leaving me with a ton of songs to write still. I'm sure it'll all work itself out in the end though, it always does.

Josh says my entires are too long, but I don't care, I'm going to keep going haha.

We leave for our tour with Debaser and BearTrap in 6 days. The dates are:
Feb 13 2009 6:00P
A Cold Basement Franklin, New Jersey
Feb 14 2009 8:00P
Somewhere Richmond, Virginia
Feb 15 2009 8:00P
The Park Charlseton, South Carolina
Feb 16 2009 8:00P
Blackbox Collective Orlando, Florida
Feb 17 2009 7:00P
Cave 9 Birmingham, Alabama
Feb 18 2009 8:00P
P.S. Warehouse Atlanta, Georgia
Feb 19 2009 8:00P
The Hideaway Johnson City, Tennessee
Feb 20 2009 8:00P
Charm City Art Space Baltimore, Maryland
Feb 22 2009 5:00P
Retox Brooklyn, New York

It should be pretty cool. It's awesome that so many good bands come from Stoughton. I wish that this was a full U.S. tour. I think that I'm actually looking forward to touring this time, for the most part. I'm definitely going to miss Julia more than ever though because we've been hanging out so much lately, and it's making me used to seeing her constantly. Other than that, I can't see me missing too much. Plus, like I've said time and time again, I have a MacBook now, and constant computer access will a huge part of what will make me comfortable on the road. I already know though, that during out holiday tour with Set Your Goals and Four Year Strong, there was a problem with the electrical outlet converter that connects to the cigarette lighter thing in the van, and my MacBook only has a battery life of like 4 hours or something like that. Nothing will get done about fixing it though, because for the most part, it's not a priority. We are so in debt that we really can't afford to be spending any unnecessary money. I swear to god we better at least get like 5 dollars a day for food because this time, I am bringing NO money. It's getting to the point where we're going to have to make Energy our actual full time jobs. It's a job right now, but it is probably going to have to start consuming most of the year, as far as touring goes. It's scary to think of, but I'm starting to get used to it. There are places on tour that I now have memories in, that I can look forward to reliving. I know Joe might need to be moving out of his house soon, my mom has mentioned moving quite a bit, and that it would be to somewhere where I wasn't invited, so from what it's looking like, we might have to tour so that we won't be homeless. As long as I know that Julia coming on tour is somewhere in my future, I am fine with it. I love playing every single night. If it were up to me, I would play a show every night at home, but then people would stop coming because they could just see us the next day. I guess that's why the idea of touring is so appealing. By the time you play a place you played before, it's a month or 6 later. Besides, after Europe, I don't think any tour will be that horrible anymore. It was FUCKIN' awesome touring with Slapshot, seeing them play every night, and getting to hang out with them on a tour bus. It was also how I got to know Keith, so I can't regret it too much, but every single aspect of the tour besides that was terrible. I actually have journal entries from Europe typed out and saved that I never posted anywhere. Maybe I will do that today/today. After I just typed that I copied and pasted all of the entries from my Sidekick notes section to my email. After I spell check them and edit a few things, I will try and make one enormous entry entailing all of Energy's European adventures. Just to let you know how much I wrote I'll say that it exceeded the maximum amount of characters per note on my sidekick like 7 times or something like that. Like I said, I will try and edit it so that it's easier to read, but for the most part I want to post most of it so that my feelings at the time are conveyed properly.

I don't have much else to say, Julia's getting ready for work (yes, on a Saturday) and will be leaving shortly, but she gets out at like 1 or 2 so we can still hangout. I think I'll start trying to end my posts with what I'm listening to at the end of each update. I'm not promising it every single time, but I'll try.

Currently listening to:

1 comment:

  1. "but chances are, if you're reading this, I already sent it to you." :(

    Yeah, you get paid for Jury Duty. I'm actually pretty bummed I didn't get a case now because that would've been some pretty easy money.

    Albany is at least a 3 hour drive, so it's too much of a trip for me at the moment. I will have to wait until March 17th.

    ReplyDelete